Monday, October 12, 2009

I turned 17 this week. And birthdays are pretty big in Spain. I was walking out of my apartment building on Wednesday morning to go to school and I heard some friends across the street singing Happy Birthday to me. And we had American brownies with milk. It was a good day.

Things I learned this week:
-Good restaurants are not open on Sunday nights. So don't expect to go to an exotic Indian restaurant because you'll end up eating lo mein at the chinese restaurant next door.
-There are a lot of missionary kids in Tres Cantos. Well, 6.
- Everyone has a personal Saint, and today is Saint Pilar's day. Which is my host mother's saint, and the Saint that watches over the Military.
-"International Music Concert" really means 30 people making animal noises and mimicking sirens, all at the same time.
-A three day weekend is called "a bridge" in translation.
- Age doesn't seem to matter that much in Spain. A 13 year old can be friends with a 19 year old, no problem.

And today is a national holiday in both Spain and the U.S. I like that.


Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes and thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment